Printing Tips

Tips for printing at a Copy Shop

If you don’t think your home printer is up to the task of printing out your files, you can personalize the pages you need, save them to a flash drive and take them to your local copy shop for printing.

I RECOMMEND PRINTING MY TEMPLATES AT THE FOLLOWING PRINT/COPY SHOPS:

• Staples (except Canada – see below)
  • Office Max
  • Office Depot
  • Insource (in Canada)
  • UPS (in Canada)
  • Officeworks (in Australia)

THE FOLLOWING PLACES WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PRINT MY TEMPLATES:

• Photo shops/photo labs such as Walmart, Walgreens, Costco, Target, CVS, Tesco etc – my templates are not JPG or photo files and cannot be printed as a photo.
  • Online photo print shops such as Overnight Prints, Vistaprint, Snapfish, Mpix, Shutterfly etc
  • Staples in Canada – customers have reported difficulties printing
  • Fedex/Kinkos – customers have reported difficulties printing.
  • Any professional printer that does not use Adobe Reader to print.

HOW TO SEND OUT JUST A SINGLE PAGE FOR PRINTING:

If you would like to send just a single page out for printing, and not the whole collection, simply download the “ZIP File of Individual pages”. This is the last download link that you receive when purchasing a full collection.

Once you have downloaded that file, you will need to unzip it. See here for more info on how to unzip files: www.wikihow.com/Unzip-a-File.

Once unzipped, you will see all the pages of your collection saved as individual files. You can then personalize/edit and send out for printing just the pages you need.

Tips for printing at home

For best results when printing at home follow these guidelines:

• Choose a heavyweight Matte Photo Paper for best results & vibrant colors.
  • If your budget does not allow for photo paper, choose bright white Cardstock.
  • Print from Adobe Reader only (other PDF readers will often print out with weird colors!).
  • Check the level of ink in your cartridges (a simple step but one that many people forget!)
  • Select “Actual Size” under the Page Handling & Size option (this is the same as “None” under the Page Scaling option in earlier versions of Adobe Reader) unless you specifically want to print out items smaller. If you do wish to print smaller/larger you can adjust the Custom Scale setting to suit.
  • Select the best quality printing option from your Print Setup Dialog Box.
  • Select the “Letter/A4 – Borderless” option under your Page Settings Dialog Box – this will help print any full page designs right to the edge of the page.
  • If your colors do not print out as you were expecting, try selecting the “Print as Image” checkbox (found by clicking on the Advanced button – see a screenshot here for help).  Selecting this can help with color correction on some printers.

Color variations

The color that you see on your computer screen varies greatly from monitor to monitor. As such, there may be color variations from what you see on your screen to the printed product. Print quality and color also varies depending on which printer you use, the type of paper and printer settings.

Comments

1. Laura says

{FOR CANADIANS} In Source worked. It used to be Kinko’s, I believe, but our province doesn’t have kinko’s anymore. I believe In Source is only in Alberta (province) and Calgary and Edmonton (one store in each city)…so not a big chain. Not sure if other provinces have it. Here is the website in case you need for another Albertan – http://www.insourcealberta.com/.

• says

Hi Alicia, if the barcode is not printing at the bottom of your printable like in my sample images, it’s likely you have edited or are printing from a program other than Adobe Reader (such as Preview on a Mac, your Internet Browser or another program).

My files will only work in Adobe Reader, so please check this first!
      ★ If you are a Mac user please see here for specific help.
      ★ If you are a Windows 8 user please see here for specific help.

If you have any further problems you can also see my troubleshooting guide for quick resolution of common issues.

2. Krystal French says

Hi Simone,
    If I send my banner to Staples what is the best paper weight to use? And should I be using the basic copy option for the other templates as well?

Thanks
    Krystal

• says

Hi Krystal, I recommend choosing the thickest paper your budget can allow for your banner – 110lbs (300gsm) is ideal. I am not sure what you mean by the basic copy option?

3. Erica R. says

Have you tired converting the pdf to a jpg? It would be so much more convenient to use Costco and so I was curious if anyone or yourself have used a converting software and tried changing it. Thanks.

4. Debbie says

I am using the Knights templates and need to make 150 placecards for our Cub Scout banquet. I was going to copy the file page to a flash drive but how do I copy just the one page so I can change it for each family? I plan on taking it to Staples to get printed.

• says

Hi Debbie, If you click on the last download link (ZIP File of Individual Pages) you will find a zip file of all the pages in the collection saved as individual files. Once you unzip that file, you can edit and send out for printing just the Placecards page.

5. Mary Joy Cedeno says

Hi. I wanted to purchase this but the problem is I only have adobe reader thru my phone, i dont have a laptop with me. Do you think it would work? one more question, I wantsd to have the parisian theme party, but i only saw a white cardstock available, do you know where I could buy the pink one’s? thank you

• says

Hi Mary Joy, Unfortunately my files don’t work on APPS on mobile devices – they need the full Adobe Reader program on a computer or laptop.

I recommend printing on white cardstock as the colors you see in the images are all part of the design. Regards, Simone

6. Rana says

Hi, I live in Europe and where I live there is no copy shops where I can have then printed. Is there any at home printers you can recommend to print them with for the best results?

• says

Hi Kristin, if the color of your files are printing incorrectly please check the following:

1. Firstly check that you are printing from ADOBE READER only! Printing from other programs (such as Preview the default PDF viewer on a Mac) will often result in strange colors!

2. Print on Matte Photo Paper for best color. Printing on different types of paper can drastically change the colors even when using the same printer.

3. Make sure to check the level of ink in your ink cartridges – this is a simple step and often forgotten but the one most often the cause of color issues.

4. Ensure you select the the correct type of paper in the Print Settings of the Print Dialog Box (e.g. don’t select photo paper if you are printing on cardstock).

5. Ensure that you have selected the best quality print settings in the Print Dialog Box.

6. If the above don’t help, try selecting the “Print as Image” checkbox (found by clicking on the Advanced button – see a screenshot here for help). Selecting this can help with color correction on some printers.

7. Hilary says

I am about to download the Mall Scavenger Hunt invitations. I bought matte photo paper. If I need 12 invitations (the credit card and the piece it attaches to), how many pieces of paper will I need?

Also, would I really print the hershey’s labels on photo paper? Will it bend enough?

Just trying to figure out how many pieces of paper I need to buy.

• says

Hi Hilary, For 12 invitations you will need 3 pages for the credit cards + 4 pages for the activation instructions – so 7 pages in total. It’s personal choice for the hershey’s labels. My instructions for the Mini labels recommend a regular weight paper, however the larger candy bar wrappers should be fine with the photo paper.

• Hilary Plattus says

Simone,
        I printed out the credit cards. REALLY easy and they look terrific!! Of course, I ran out of ink in the middle so back to Staples I go today! It printed very well on card stock paper. Only problem was that the card stock paper was so expensive and I couldn’t find white… had to get a multi-pack with different colors including white! Can’t wait to send these out!!

8. Latoya says

Hey I’m printing the Fireman name badges but I’m using them for thank you tags, what paper do you prefer? I want to use label paper.

• says

Hi Latoya, if you want to print on label paper choose the full-page (full-sheet) label paper and trim out after printing. Otherwise the thickest white cardstock your printer can handle is perfect for these name badges.

9. Jennifer says

Simone,

I am trying to upload the document to print at Office Depot, however even though I personalized the PDF, when it uploads to the office depot site, they are blank. Any ideas as to why?

• says

Hi Jennifer, All of my printables can be printed at Office Depot, however editable printables do not seem to work with the online uploader – I recommend saving the files to a USB and taking them into your local branch (or emailing them). Is that something that you are able to do?