Printing Tips

Tips for printing at a Copy Shop

If you don’t think your home printer is up to the task of printing out your files, you can personalize the pages you need, save them to a flash drive and take them to your local copy shop for printing.

I RECOMMEND PRINTING MY TEMPLATES AT THE FOLLOWING PRINT/COPY SHOPS:

• Staples (except Canada – see below)
  • Office Max
  • Office Depot
  • Insource (in Canada)
  • Officeworks (in Australia)

THE FOLLOWING PLACES WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PRINT MY TEMPLATES:

• Photo shops/photo labs such as Walmart, Walgreens, Costco, Target, CVS, Tesco etc – my templates are not JPG or photo files and cannot be printed as a photo.
  • Online photo print shops such as Overnight Prints, Vistaprint, Snapfish, Mpix, Shutterfly etc
  • Staples in Canada – customers have reported difficulties printing
  • Fedex/Kinkos – customers have reported difficulties printing.
  • Any professional printer that does not use Adobe Reader to print.

HOW TO SEND OUT JUST A SINGLE PAGE FOR PRINTING:

If you would like to send just a single page out for printing, and not the whole collection, simply download the “ZIP File of Individual pages”. This is the last download link that you receive when purchasing a full collection.

Once you have downloaded that file, you will need to unzip it. See here for more info on how to unzip files: www.wikihow.com/Unzip-a-File.

Once unzipped, you will see all the pages of your collection saved as individual files. You can then personalize/edit and send out for printing just the pages you need.

Tips for printing at home

For best results when printing at home follow these guidelines:

• Choose a heavyweight Matte Photo Paper for best results & vibrant colors.
  • If your budget does not allow for photo paper, choose bright white Cardstock.
  • Print from Adobe Reader only (other PDF readers will often print out with weird colors!).
  • Check the level of ink in your cartridges (a simple step but one that many people forget!)
  • Select “Actual Size” under the Page Handling & Size option (this is the same as “None” under the Page Scaling option in earlier versions of Adobe Reader) unless you specifically want to print out items smaller. If you do wish to print smaller/larger you can adjust the Custom Scale setting to suit.
  • Select the best quality printing option from your Print Setup Dialog Box.
  • Select the “Letter/A4 – Borderless” option under your Page Settings Dialog Box – this will help print any full page designs right to the edge of the page.
  • If your colors do not print out as you were expecting, try selecting the “Print as Image” checkbox (found by clicking on the Advanced button – see a screenshot here for help).  Selecting this can help with color correction on some printers.

Color variations

The color that you see on your computer screen varies greatly from monitor to monitor. As such, there may be color variations from what you see on your screen to the printed product. Print quality and color also varies depending on which printer you use, the type of paper and printer settings.

Comments

1. Laura says

{FOR CANADIANS} In Source worked. It used to be Kinko’s, I believe, but our province doesn’t have kinko’s anymore. I believe In Source is only in Alberta (province) and Calgary and Edmonton (one store in each city)…so not a big chain. Not sure if other provinces have it. Here is the website in case you need for another Albertan – http://www.insourcealberta.com/.

• says

Hi Alicia, if the barcode is not printing at the bottom of your printable like in my sample images, it’s likely you have edited or are printing from a program other than Adobe Reader (such as Preview on a Mac, your Internet Browser or another program).

My files will only work in Adobe Reader, so please check this first!
      ★ If you are a Mac user please see here for specific help.
      ★ If you are a Windows 8 user please see here for specific help.

If you have any further problems you can also see my troubleshooting guide for quick resolution of common issues.

2. Krystal French says

Hi Simone,
    If I send my banner to Staples what is the best paper weight to use? And should I be using the basic copy option for the other templates as well?

Thanks
    Krystal

• says

Hi Krystal, I recommend choosing the thickest paper your budget can allow for your banner – 110lbs (300gsm) is ideal. I am not sure what you mean by the basic copy option?

3. Erica R. says

Have you tired converting the pdf to a jpg? It would be so much more convenient to use Costco and so I was curious if anyone or yourself have used a converting software and tried changing it. Thanks.

4. Debbie says

I am using the Knights templates and need to make 150 placecards for our Cub Scout banquet. I was going to copy the file page to a flash drive but how do I copy just the one page so I can change it for each family? I plan on taking it to Staples to get printed.

• says

Hi Debbie, If you click on the last download link (ZIP File of Individual Pages) you will find a zip file of all the pages in the collection saved as individual files. Once you unzip that file, you can edit and send out for printing just the Placecards page.

• Debbie says

I clicked on the last download link for the zip files. A menu came up with all the files. I then clicked on the one I wanted for the placecards (knights6) and got message “adobe reader could not open food labels pdf because it is either not a supported file or because the file has been damaged.

• says

Hi Debbie, please make sure the files have been unzipped/extracted correctly. That error message occurs when files have not been unzipped or have been unzipped incorrectly. Please note that some zip programs create duplicate files that have an underscore ” _ ” in front of the file name – don’t use those files, choose the ones that begin with “KNIGHTS 6 – Food Buffet Labels” (no underscore at the beginning). I will also email you the unzipped files if you continue to have issues.