My Printable Collections only work in Adobe Reader and NOT Mac’s default PDF viewer called Preview.
Double clicking on a PDF file on a Mac will open it it in Preview even if you have Adobe Reader installed.
HOW TO OPEN FILES IN ADOBE READER ON YOUR MAC
I recommend launching Adobe Reader and opening my files directly from Adobe Reader itself. To do this:
- Download Adobe Reader for free here and install it on your computer.
- Download a fresh/new copy of your templates and save them to your computer.
- Open Adobe Reader from your Applications folder.
- In Adobe Reader, click on File – Open.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the downloaded files (usually your Downloads folder unless you chose a specific location) and select them
- Your files are now open in Adobe Reader!
HOW TO SET ADOBE READER AS THE DEFAULT PDF VIEWER ON YOUR MAC
If you use a lot of editable PDF files on your Mac I recommend you set Adobe Reader as the default PDF viewer. This way all PDF files are automatically opened in Adobe Reader instead of Preview. Here’s how:
2. Although you may have now installed the latest version of Adobe Reader, your Mac will still use “Preview” when you click on a PDF file UNLESS you change the default PDF reader from “Preview” to “Adobe Reader”. To make that change, follow the simple steps below:
(a) Move the Adobe Reader icon in your “Applications” folder to the “Dock” which is where all your program icons are located at the bottom of your desktop.
(b) Open Adobe Reader from the Dock.
(c) Using the File / Open menu in Adobe Reader, locate and open any PDF file that you have on your computer.
(d) You should then get the following message: “Adobe Reader is not currently configured to be the default application for pdf files. Would you like to make pdf files open with Adobe Reader instead of Preview?”
(e) Click “Yes”
2. Under the heading ‘Open with,’ the current default application for opening PDF’s is listed (which will most likely be Preview). If there is no application listed you may need to click the triangle to the left of ‘Open with’ so that it points downward to reveal the current setting.
3. Click on the application list to open a drop-down menu displaying additional applications. In this menu locate the most recent version of Adobe Reader and select it.
If Adobe Reader is not listed you may not have it installed (check by selecting Other .... and navigating through your Applications folder to locate the icon for Adobe Reader - if you do find it, click to highlight it and then click the Add button).
4. Back in the information window click the ‘Change All’ button so that all subsequent PDF files will be opened by Adobe Reader
5. Click the Continue button to confirm that you’d like to change your settings. Now all PDF files will be opened by Adobe Reader.
If you wish to change your default PDF viewer back to Preview at a later date, you can follow the instructions above selecting Preview instead of Adobe Reader.