My Printable Collections only work in Adobe Reader and NOT Mac’s default PDF viewer called Preview. Double clicking on a PDF file on a Mac will open it it in Preview even if you have Adobe Reader installed.
I recommend launching Adobe Reader and opening my files directly from Adobe Reader itself. To do this:
- Download Adobe Reader for free here and install it on your computer.
- Download a fresh copy of your files (make sure they have downloaded fully before proceeding or you will get an error message).
- Open Adobe Reader from your Applications folder.
- In Adobe Reader, click on File – Open.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the downloaded files (usually your Downloads folder unless you chose a specific location) and select them
- They should open in Adobe Reader now!
Alternatively, Mac users can set Adobe Reader as the default PDF viewer, so that all PDF files are automatically opened in Adobe Reader instead of Preview.
HOW TO SET ADOBE READER AS THE DEFAULT PDF VIEWER ON A MAC
2. Although you may have now installed the latest version of Adobe Reader, your Mac will still use “Preview” when you click on a PDF file UNLESS you change the default PDF reader from “Preview” to “Adobe Reader”. To make that change, follow the simple steps below:
(a) Move the Adobe Reader icon in your “Applications” folder to the “Dock” which is where all your program icons are located at the bottom of your desktop.
(b) Open Adobe Reader from the Dock.
(c) Using the File / Open menu in Adobe Reader, locate and open any PDF file that you have on your computer.
(d) You should then get the following message: “Adobe Reader is not currently configured to be the default application for pdf files. Would you like to make pdf files open with Adobe Reader instead of Preview?”
(e) Click “Yes”
2. Under the heading 'Open with,' the current default application for opening PDF's is listed (which will most likely be Preview). If there is no application listed you may need to click the triangle to the left of 'Open with' so that it points downward to reveal the current setting.
3. Click on the application listed to open a menu displaying additional applications. In this menu locate the most recent version of Adobe Reader.
(a) If Reader is listed, Select it
(b) If Reader is not listed or an old version of the software is listed select 'Other' from the bottom of the menu. Navigate through your Applications folder to locate the icon for the Adobe Reader application and click to highlight it. Click the Add button to select Reader.
4. Back in the information window click the 'Change All' button so that all subsequent PDF files will be opened by the Adobe Reader
5. Click the Continue button to confirm that you'd like to change your settings. Now all PDF files will be opened by Adobe Reader.
If you wish to change your default PDF viewer back to Preview at a later date, you can follow the instructions above selecting Preview instead of Adobe Reader.