Tutorial – Cheaply waterproof your water bottle labels

Cheaply waterproof water bottle labels - diy tutorial

Love the idea of using the Water Bottle labels that are included in my party packs, but want to keep your bottles cold, and printing on Waterproof label paper is too expensive? Try my cheap option instead!

This will allow you to have your water bottles looking great with your personalized label AND keep them cold without ruining the label (or your budget)!

Simply use cheap, clear adhesive Con-tact paper to cover your freshly wrapped water bottle!

Clear adhesive Con-Tact paper is much cheaper than weatherproof/waterproof label paper, is water resistant and it’s readily available too.  As it’s clear, you can protect your personalized water bottle label without detracting from the look!

Cheaply waterproof water bottle labels - diy tutorial

Clear Con-Tact comes in large rolls like you see above. You can find it for just a few dollars in these shops here: Discount School Supply, Amazon , Staples. You can also find it at Walmart and most hardware or home improvement stores.

Cheaply waterproof water bottle labels - diy tutorial

Personalize your water bottle labels from my Editable Party pack and print on regular cardstock (or photo paper if that’s what you are using for the rest of your designs).  Once you have your label ready, you will need to cut a strip of the adhesive paper slightly larger than your personalized label.

You want to make sure that you have enough of the adhesive paper to completely cover your water bottle label plus some extra to adhere to the bottle and stop moisture reaching your label.

The Fireman labels in the pic above, measure 8″ x 2″ when trimmed, so I made sure my adhesive paper was at least 9″ x 2.5″.

Cheaply waterproof water bottle labels - diy tutorial

Firstly, wrap your water bottle with your personalized label.  Then peel off the backing from your adhesive paper.

Cheaply waterproof water bottle labels - diy tutorial

Wrap the adhesive paper around your water bottle – making sure that your personalized label is sitting in the middle of your adhesive paper covering. Press down heavily to ensure the adhesive paper has no air bubbles to let moisture in!

Cheaply waterproof water bottle labels - diy tutorial

Your water bottle is now ready to be kept cold in the fridge or in an ice bucket!

Have some Con-Tact Adhesive paper left over? Once you have finished covering your water bottle labels, you can use the rest of the paper for:

• “Laminating” your child’s art projects to help make them last longer.
  • As a base or background material for collage projects — no glue needed!
  • Covering your kids favourite books to protect the covers from grubby little fingers.

Comments

1. Teachersf says

I use packing tape to make them waterproof. I just cute the labels a little thinner and the tape covers them. It is fast and cheap :)

2. Katrina Bailey says

I love this idea. However, Im wondering if the same process can be applied to say, ceramics & glass after placing ur homade decal? Thanks. Feel free to reply to m e via email as well. Godspeed!

• says

Hi Katie, you can write on Con-Tact paper with a regular pen (appears more faintly than writing on regular paper) or a permanent marker (just make sure you let the permanent marker dry before touching to avoid it smudging).

3. Lindsay says

If the bottle is cold wont the design be destroyed from the backside as well? Do I need to tape the back too then tape the front?

• says

Hi Lindsay, the method above to work for me when I need to the bottles cold for a short time in some ice.  If you will be completely submerging the bottles or needing to keep them cold for longer then your suggestion would probably be best.

4. says

Thank you so much! It just occurred to me to use clear contact paper for something like this and I did a google and found you! I’ve been using packing tape, but need a bigger size sometimes. I needed a cheaper alternative than clear stickers and this is it! Blessings, In Christ, Laura

5. Nikki says

Can I change the color of the label?  I want to use these water bottle labels for the boys at the party.  The girls have tutus and tiaras on them.  I want these labels to coordinate with my color theme.

6. says

Hi Simone, I was actually searching for this kind of awesome tips..woow! I’m really happy to get some good tips to make waterproof labels for myself.. I’m thinking now to apply this techniques to my kids favorite books and her art projects as my daughter wanted to have waterproof labels to protect her valuable art projects

7. says

LOVE had beautiful harmonious crystal patterns, but HATE produced ugly, disfigured, unformed crystals.
    Always give outt water with bottle labels that clearly identify you and give your potential clients
    ann easy way to contact you. A Nerf theme party is a great way to celebrate a birthday or special occasion.